by Dr. Lance B. Eliot
For a free podcast of this article, visit this link https://ai-law.libsyn.com/website or find our AI & Law podcast series on Spotify, iTunes, iHeartRadio, plus on other audio services. For the latest trends about AI & Law, visit our website www.ai-law.legal
Key briefing points about this article:
- Antitrust law has once again been brought to the forefront of society
- A recent spate of antitrust lawsuits against tech firms catches the eye and worldwide attention
- We need to be cautious in overstepping our instant assumption that antitrust has occurred
- To aid in the antitrust vigilance proposition we can adopt the use of AI for antitrust endeavors
- Via the use of AI-based antitrust diligence systems, the vigilance can be notably enhanced
It seems that the daily news is filled with breathtaking stories about antitrust violations, or at least alleged such violations.
Of course, we have to remain diligent and await the outcome of these antitrust lawsuits before we can summarily slam the targeted firms. Antitrust is a complex case to be made and there are abundant chances that the allegations will end-up falling apart.
Give the accused their day in court, one might implore. Yet, despite that sage advice, there is a strong temptation to look at the accused firms and believe that one readily spies what appears to be clear-and-present indications of antitrust practices. Anyway, allow the gears of justice to work their grinding mechanizations and then we will presumably know.
One of the latest headlines entails an antitrust lawsuit filed by nearly forty states that have accused Google of exercising monopolistic power over the online search marketplace. The suit alleges that this vaunted Alphabet Incorporated entity carried out a scheme involving anticompetitive practices, doing so in the outright and flagrant conduct of its business activities and in the contracts that it has insidiously put in place. Meanwhile, Google denies that any such antitrust violations have occurred, explaining that their business efforts and allure to consumers showcase that their online…